|The cup winner’s trophy is an honorary plate of the DFB, commonly known as the "salad dish". This challenge trophy is presented to the best team of the Bundesliga at the end of the play season, to stay in its possession for one year. The plate was made originally in 1949 to replace the "Viktoria" trophy, which got lost during the war. The 1. FC Nürnberg who was the first post-war champion in 1948 did not yet receive this trophy.|
The original trophy, which had a diameter of 50 cm, was made of material worth approx. 9,000 Euro. According to DFB, today’s value is as much as 25,000 Euro.
This original trophy is made of 5.5 kg Sterling silver and is set with five large and eleven small tourmalines (altogether 175 carat). The trophy was designed by Elisabeth Treskow from the school of artists in Cologne.
Engraved on this plate are the names of all German champions since 1903, with the VfB Leipzig being the first. In 1981, however, it turned out that the plate had become too small for further engravings so that another silver ring had to be attached underneath, fastened with silver bolts to the original trophy. This silver ring which projects 45 mm from the rim is ornamented with five tourmaline-cabochons of 71.98 carat, each mounted in gold, which are provided between the new engraving plates. Thus, sufficient space has been added for engraving the names of future champions for another 30 years. The artist who designed and produced it was the gold-and-silver smith Adolf Kunesch from Rodenbach.
After it had been enlarged, the plate has now a diameter of 59 cm and it weighs approx. 11 kg.