Germany coach Joachim Löw has dropped VfL Wolfsburg’s Max Kruse from his squad for the upcoming international friendlies. The manager cited a number of incidents involving the 28-year-old which he deemed unprofessional and not in keeping with the example expected of him as a Germany international.
“I spoke to Max Kruse last week and told him exactly what I expect of him, both on and off the pitch,” said Joachim Löw. “I want players who are also focused on their football and the European Championship in between games. The incident last weekend doesn’t meet my expectations. Max has behaved unprofessionally yet again and I won’t accept that. The EUROs this summer are drawing closer and we have big aims with the national team. We need players who are focused and are conscious of their responsibilities as a role model.”
The suspension initially applies for the upcoming friendlies against England in Berlin on Saturday, 26th March (20:45 CET) and against Italy in Munich on Tuesday, 29th March (20:45 CET). “We have been in constant contact with VfL Wolfsburg and have coordinated closely with Klaus Allofs and Dieter Hecking,” said Die Mannschaft general manager Oliver Bierhoff.
The now 26-man Germany squad is set to meet up in Berlin on Tuesday.